> Cooking Tips
> Frozen Pancakes
Tips and Hints for
Here are our best methods for freezing, storing and defrosting
frozen pancakes. Find great tips and hints for
keeping your pancakes
in perfect condition while frozen.
Pancakes freeze exceptionally well.
I have a large family who all prefer thick, fluffy pancakes. These types of pancakes always take ages to cook and, because I have to cook about 36 of them for one meal, it takes me hours to cook them all.
Therefore, I always make the pancakes in advance, freeze them, and then heat up the frozen pancakes when I need them.
Freezing pancakes is also a great idea for the budget conscious cook. You can make up a double or, even triple, batch of pancakes and freeze in separate portions.
Here are our tips and hints for freezing and defrosting frozen pancakes.
Please share your comments, tips and best loved pancake recipes with us. Fill in the form at the bottom of the page with your favourite recipe or comments
One special reader will be chosen to have their recipe featured in our monthly e-zine newsletter. Will you be next month's winner?
Hints for Frozen Pancakes
- Double, triple, quadruple, or, as in my case, multiply your recipe by 5 or 6, and cook your pancakes as per the instructions on the recipe. Let them cool completely on a wire tray. They must be cold before you freeze them.
- Choose however many pancakes you want in each stack to freeze. In my case, there are nine of us, therefore I put nine pancakes in each stack.
- You could layer each pancake with baking paper but I don't. I simply wrap the stack of pancakes in two layers of plastic wrap making sure that all air is expelled. You could then place them in a well-sealed freezer bag if freezing for an extended amount of time. Pancakes can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- When you need to use them, thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
- To heat them, remove the pancakes from the plastic wrap. Place a piece of paper towel on a microwave-safe plate; place the stack of pancakes on the plate; place another piece of paper towel on the top. Microwave for a minute (or less) depending on how many pancakes you have, until they are heated through.
- If heating from the frozen state, after microwaving for one minute, halve the stack in the middle, turn over and microwave for a further minute or until heated through.
- If heating in an oven, preheat the oven to approximately 190°C (375°F) and cook for about 8 minutes.
- When heated through add your toppings or fillings and enjoy!
- Some pancakes or crepes can be frozen with their fillings. This works best if you are using a savoury filling in a sauce. Roll you pancakes up with their filling inside, place in an oven-proof, freezer-proof dish. Freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to use, thaw in the refrigerator, and heat in the oven or microwave.
Stay up to date with all that's new at Pancake Recipe Treasurehouse.
Subscribe to the RSS feed on the Navigation Bar over to the left
or bookmark this site (top of the right column) and visit often.
You Will Find More Tips and Hints on These Pages
Some of Our Favourite Pancake Recipes Suitable for Freezing
Need More Help?
Our video, How to Make Pancakes
is a practical step by step cooking class which
will walk you through the entire process of making perfect pancakes in the kitchen.
Do You Like This Recipe? Add Your Comments
We would love you to share your comments about this recipe.
Are there any changes you would like to make?
Do you have any great cooking tips you can share with us?